IDENTIFICATION OF VENOMOUS AND NON VENOMOUS SNAKES IS VERY IMPORTANT WHEN THE AREA YOU CAMP IN MAY BE INFESTED WITH SNAKES. THE WEATHER AND TIME OF YEAR ARE VERY IMPORTANT FOR SNAKE OBSERVATION. THE AREA YOU CAMP IN IS ALSO IMPORTANT ON WHETHER OR NOT YOU WILL SEE SNAKES.  IN-GROUND POOLS, MULCHED AREAS AND AREAS UNDER CONSTRUCTION ARE ALSO GOOD FOR REPTILE WATCHING.

Living in Florida is a good opportunity to see snakes.  With the unique weather Florida has it's a good area for many different snake types.

Remember, if all the snakes were to disappear from the earth then we would be over run with rodents that carry many different diseases and they would be eating the crops that feed you, me and the live stock. This would add up to: No burgers / steaks, No vegetables, More diseases, More hunger and then some!

The EASTERN DIAMONDBACK RATTLE SNAKE is the largest North American serpent and is very deadly & aggressive.
The lethal venom is Hemo-toxin (attacks the body through the blood stream).
Identification: Slit eyes (pupils), large head (venom glands on each side). Rattle!, diamond design on back, rough scales.

The CORAL SNAKE is one of the most deadliest snake in the United States.
It's length is on an average of 2 1 /2 ft to 3 ft. long.
The lethal venom is Neurotoxin (travels through the blood stream and attacks the nervous system).
Identification: The pattern for this snake is a black head with 3 colors: Red, Yellow & Black.
If red touches the yellow then the snake is a deadly coral snake!!!!
" Red touch yellow will kill a fellow. Red touch black is a friend of Jack. "

Mothballs: using mothballs around your property will run off select food that snakes like to eat (lizards, rodents...)
Pure Ammonia: spraying ammonia on any reptile or animal will scare them off, no permanent harm will be done.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Remember CORAL SNAKES: "Red Touch Yellow Kills a Fellow, Red Touch Black Friend of Jack."

              Tall Tales

If you forget the rhythm, think of a Traffic Light.  "Red and Yellow Kill a Fellow..."

10%-20% of venomous snake bites are dry-bites every year.  What does that tell you?  Chances are the venomous snake bite is not good and medical treatment is needed immediately (80% to 90% have venom injected).

Venomous Bites: Approximately 200 venomous bites in Florida per year.  8,000 in the USA.      100,000 fatalities every year in the world.

 

 

 

 

 

 

                    Knowledge is Power and Power is Knowledge!